As many of you may or may not know, although I am currently a resident of Los Angeles, I was born and raised on the east coast. Despite the fact that I now view myself as a full blown citizen of Los Angeles - and I can't see myself leaving anytime soon - New Jersey is where I would meet some extremely influential people. I remember on cold, rainy, or snowy days sitting inside with my friends listening to music, messing around, freestyling over instrumentals, and arguing the best rappers and producers in the game. In particular, I remember the word play from the off the top freestyles - that used to be a regular part of our routine - and the bars from my man, now known as Reed the Infinite, that would always make me either chuckle, think for a minute, or just say "Damn." I also remember his voracious appetite for beat making, and how I would hit him up to see what he was working on next, especially because his style was so unique, eery and spacey, but with a hard trap component to it as well. That's why I was overjoyed to see Reed the Infinite release his debut 8-track project "Cocoon." I decided to catch up with Reed and learn more about his new project.
Bradley - Let’s start out by having you tell us a little about yourself, can you give us some short background on yourself before we start the interview?
Reed the Infinite - Yoo what up homie been a long time, but yeah so I’m from South Jersey, the suburbs of Blackwood to be specific, Im 23 but I’m actually turning 24 next friday haha. I have been rapping since like 5th or 6th grade and I started making beats in like the 9th grade, Far as influences my shit is all over the fucking place haha just to name a few Future, Eminem, Flying Lotus, MF Doom, Travis Scott, Og Maco, Wiz , Roc marciano, Tyler the Creator, Keith Ape, Rick Ross, 808 mafia, Young sizzle (south side of 808 mafia), Andre 3000, Schoolboy q of course!! And kendrick obviously.
Reed the Infinite Interview:
1. Q: So this was your first ep, what inspired you to name it Cocoon?
Reed the Infinite - Awesome question. So I was just going through a lot of changes and realizing a lot of shit. Life shit. Like cutting people off and a lot of perspective changing shit so thats why i called this cocoon.
2. Q: Your word play throughout the project was awesome, and I was really vibing with the production. I know you have been into making beats in the past. Did you have a hand in the production for any of the tracks on the ep?
Reed the Infinite - Aye thanks brotha, but yeah man I produced EVERYTHING on this , every track I made! So nope noone else’s hands in this but mine.
3. Q: I think it's safe to say that Dan Bilzerian is a fan favorite, and I know you have been trying to get him to make an appearance in the video shoot for the song? Has that gained any traction, and do you have any other visuals planned?
Reed the Infinite - Hahaa hell yeah yo and actually my friend knows someone that dates someone that goes to that niggas crib so I’m seeing whats up with that !! And hell yeah we’ve been talking about a lot of video ideas and shit, like Blunt Cruise, Fkyrslf, and Sleep Paralysis. We need to start working on those but everything in due time.
4. Q: What is your creative process like? How do you get an idea for a track and what steps do you take to go from idea to finished product?
Reed the Infinite - Hmm, well I’ll make a beat and shit'll literally just flow the fuck out like water or sometimes ill just be on a walk, meditating, cooking, pooping, showering or some other random activity and shit'll just come into my head and once it starts it just keeps coming yo. So that’s usually how it goes for me.
5. Q: You're from New Jersey right? Do you feel as if New Jersey artists are overlooked? And are there any artists from the area that have influenced your musical style?
Reed the Infinite - I think so, but then at the same time there are a lot of artists from jerz like Da$h and Retch for instance. Far as any artists from jerz that influenced me I'd say Da$h definitely and Redman and Tame one too for sure.
6. Q: Now that you have released your first project, what do you have in mind for the future?
Reed the Infinite - Hella shows and performances, merchandise, definitely wanna collab with some artists that I’ve always wanted to since I got a nice clean quality project out now. Definitely need videos!!!
7. Q: Do you have a timetable for when you want to release your next project?
Reed the Infinite - So me and my producer got this project coming out called “Bidness plans” …Shits hard as FUCK.. its gonna make Future shit his pants. Me and my producer Pumbo got beats on it, mixed it up a bit
8. Q: Haha watch out Future. So, last question. Are there any artists in particular that you want to work with in the future?
Reed the Infinite - Artists I wanna work with would definitely be Wiz, Tory Lanez, Meek, Action Bronson, Rich the Kid, Schoolboy Q , Mac Miller, Alchemist, A$ap Ferg, Rocky, Tyler the Creator, Keith Ape, M.I.A, Future, King Los, and Southside from 808 mafia.
Check out Reed the Infinite's "Cocoon" EP on Soundcloud: